Mayor Timothy E. O'Brien and the Veterans Commission announced today that the New Britain Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting the 2012 Memorial Day Services. The Memorial Day Services are commemorative ceremonies that recognize and observe the men and woman who served in the United States military at various war memorials and landmarks throughout the city of New Britain.
The first Service takes place at Fairview Cemetery, 120 Smalley Street in New
Britain, at the Veterans Section on Thursday, May 24th beginning at 6 p.m. This service always takes place on the Thursday before the nationally celebrated holiday on
the last Monday of May.
The second set of Memorial Day Services will take place on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at the following locations and times:
- 8:00 am - General John Patterson Memorial on East/Allen Streets
- 8:30 am - Spanish American War Memorial at Willow Brook Park, 635 South Main St.
- 8:45 am - Vietnam Memorial at Willow Brook Park, 635 South Main St.
- 9:15 am - Sherrod E. Skinner Memorial on Corbin Ave./Lincoln
- 9:45 am - Israel Putnam Stone Memorial at Walnut Hill Park, 200
Grand St., behind the Darius Miller Music Shell
- 10:00 am - World War I Monument at Walnut Hill Park, 200 Grand St.
- 11:00 am - Civil War, World War II, Korean and Vietnam Memorials at Central Park, Main/West Main Streets
- 12:00 pm - General Casimir and Thaddeus Kosciusko Memorials at Pulaski Park, Broad/Burritt Streets
- 12:15 pm - Captain Brian S. Letendre U.S.M.C. Park at Pendleton Rd./Sunnyslope Dr.
Services include placing of wreaths on each Memorial along with invocations, cadences, and taps. For more information, call the Parks and Recreation Department at 860-826-3362.
2012 Memorial Day and Veterans Day Events
@ Fairview Cemetery
Thursday, May 24th at 6 p.m. - Fairview Cemetery, 120 Smalley St., New Britain, CT 06051
Memorial Day Services
-Wednesday May 30, 2012
Please see the schedule below to note time various
monuments are visited in New Britain between 8:15 a.m. and 12 noon.
Memorial Day Parade - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 6 p.m.
The Parade will start at the top of
Broad Street and Burritt Street.
The line of march will be East on
Broad Street, South (right) onto
Main Street to the dispersing point
at Main Street and Franklin Square.
The reviewing and Grand Stands will be on the west side of
Main Street on the north side of
Dispersing point at Franklin Square in front of the New Britain Courthouse
Veterans Day Services - November 11,
Please see the schedule below to note times various monuments are visited in
New Britain between 8:00 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
Schedule of Services for every year
For Memorial Day -
Fairview Cemetery Services celebrated at 6 p.m. on the Thursday before the National Memorial Day holiday celebrated on Monday, May 30 at the Monuments from 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Please see schedule below.)
Memorial Day Parade on May 30 starting at 6 p.m. with lineups arriving at 5 p.m.
For Veterans Day - November 11 at Monuments from 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Please see schedule below.)